Trustees needed for our vibrant community Charity in Cambridge
We are recruiting for a Treasurer and general Trustees to join our Board. We’re working to improve the diversity of our organisation and specifically welcome applications from people with protected characteristics. We’d love to hear from individuals with experience in Finance/Accounting (Treasurer Role), Legal, Property, HR, or Payroll. Board or charity experience is not required, as full training will be provided.
Are you good with finances & accounts? Looking to give back to the community? Abbey People are recruiting a volunteer charity Treasurer to join our Board of Trustees and help us steward the charity into the future.
Abbey People require a volunteer charity Treasurer to join our Board of Trustees.
Alongside our employee team, you’ll help the charity to keep our finances in order, fulfil our governance and reporting duties, and help us steward the charity into the future.
Some of the activities you’ll help us to oversee:
- Preparing monthly Management Accounts
- Annual Budget processes
- Treasurers reports to the Trustees meetings
- Supporting the team to developing robust financial policies and procedures for a growing charity
- Using QuickBooks cloud-based book-keeping programme
- You will also be a signatory on the charity’s bank accounts and help oversee regular payments
- Compiling and signing off annual accounts
Abbey People has grown quickly due to increased need relating to COVID and resulting poverty. The Trustees have recently appointed a CEO, and the charity now has 7 employees. The current Treasurer will support the hand-over and other members of the Trustee team will help as well.
As a trustee, you will be responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of Abbey People CIO, developing its aims, objectives and goals in accordance with company guidelines, legal and regulatory guidelines.
The trustees will carry out business on behalf of the charity. In your role, as a trustee, you will help to protect the wealth and assets of the organisation. You will be legally responsible for the assets and debts of a trust.
Trustee responsibilities include:
- Ensuring that Abbey People CIO complies with guidelines, legislation and any other legislation or regulations
- Making sure that the charity pursues defined goals in line with its stated objectives
- Monitoring the financial position and ensuring that it operates within its means and that there are clear lines of accountability for financial management
- Ensuring that the resources of Abbey People are used only to pursue legitimate objectives
- Contributing to the Board of Trustees’ role of providing strategic direction and supporting the development of policies, goals and targets
- Maintaining the good name of the charity
- Making sure that the administration of the charity is carried out efficiently
- Ensuring the financial stability of an organisation
- Scrutinising Board papers and other communications
- Using specific expertise to assist in certain areas
- Participating in working groups as necessary
- Attending seminars and networking events when required
- Leading discussions and providing guidance on new initiatives, particularly in areas where the Trustee has specific skills, knowledge or expertise
- Maintaining confidentiality about any sensitive or confidential information received in the course of duties as a Trustee
- Regularly attending and taking a full part in meetings.
Skills and qualifications
These skills include:
- Commitment to the goals and aims of Abbey People CIO
- Dedication to the role and a willingness to devote the required time
- The ability to make good independent judgements
- Being able to think creatively
- Understanding the importance of carrying out required legal duties
- Proven strategic abilities that can be used to create effective plans
- Strength of character coupled with the ability to voice concerns and opinions
- Proven experience working as a member of successful teams
- Integrity and objectivity which can be applied to all aspects of the role
- A personal interest in fighting poverty, injustice and inequality.
Abbey People is dedicated to equality and diversity and would especially welcome interest from applicants with protected characteristics.
Please email your CV and cover lettter to our CEO, or get in touch for an initial chat.